Following Atticus: Forty-Eight High Peaks, One Little Dog, and an Extraordinary Friendship by Tom Ryan is published by William Morrow. It tells the story of my adventures with Atticus M. Finch, a little dog of some distinction. You can also find our column in the NorthCountry News.

Monday, March 26, 2012

90 Second Book Reviews Reviews Following Atticus: "It paints a picture of adversity and shows how much guts and love count."

This is our 1,000th post on this blog and it's regarding a great book review of Following Atticus that came out of the blue.  The '90 Second Book Review' gives our story high marks and I'm grateful for their consideration.

The review states: "If you are fearful, this is a book you need to read. If you like to hike or backpack, it' also is a "must read." If you have a special dog in your life, this is your book. And if you are made of stone--like Tom Ryan's late father–it warns you that you are hiking a dangerous trail, more dangerous than any described in Following Atticus."

And they go on to rank Following Atticus on the following five categories: Importance to Society; Importance to You; Fun Read; Quality of Writing and Presentation; Perspective Changer; and Over-all Must-Read Rating.  These are ranked from zero to five, with five being the highest.

To read the entire review
click here

9 comments:

Cheryl T. said...

Tom, for me the review would have had five stars in all the categories. Always on your side!
Cheryl T.

Anonymous said...

As usual, Cheryl is right! Nothing less than five stars is aaceptable for me either.

Joyce

Jan Reed said...

Congratulations on the 1,000th post--that's a lot of writing! And it's a great review!

Sara said...

Tom and Atticus...

I have listed this book as one of my top 5 for this year! It was a wonderful read - and I keep telling everyone about it.

Of course you deserve all the kudos!

Tina L. said...

Tom & Atti,

Again, a wonderful review, I must agree, 5 stars would be much more appropriate.

Always following,
Tina

Elaine Smothers said...

Following Atticus was my top read of 2011. I turned the last page with a sinking feeling in my stomach: 'What do I read now that could possibly top this?' Then I found your blog.

I'm not a hiker or climber, but I too was 'saved' by a furry, 4-legged Buddha. All our mountains were the metaphorical kind, but no less steep and treacherous.

Thank you for sharing your story and Atticus Maxwell Finch with all of us!

Anonymous said...

I just finished your book about 5 minutes ago and all I can say is WOW! I am giving you and Atticus a standing ovation in my heart. I have a mini schnauzer "Emma" and when I saw this book at SAMs club I couldn't help but start reading it before I reached the checkout...

Susann A. said...

I didn't want to come to the end of your book - it rates 5 stars with me. It was heartwarming - and heartbreaking at times, full of wisdom and honesty, and a beautiful testimony to the love humans can share with animals and they with us.
I live in the north country and when I see the mountains in the distance now I wonder if you and Atticus are up there on the trails. I'm a hiker too and I understand the spell of the forest and the mountains.
Keep on inspiring with your wonderful companionship with each other and I hope you'll write another book soon.
Susann A.

Anonymous said...

I read an article in a dog magazine about the book you have written and God bless Paige for listening to you, and having the wisdom to allow you to become a friend to Attticus. It took me just 2 day to read, and I haven’t put it away yet. In fact I bought more than 1 copy to send to friends

I too have been very recently in a dark place but my constant companions have been my strength. The words you wrote touched my very soul and reminded me that there is a tomorrow. You just have to look at these little fellows who don’t ask for much but are all ways there to love and guild us.

Please keep writing.
Fee