Following Atticus: Forty-Eight High Peaks, One Little Dog, and an Extraordinary Friendship by Tom Ryan is published by William Morrow. It tells the story of my adventures with Atticus M. Finch, a little dog of some distinction. You can also find our column in the NorthCountry News.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Washington, Monroe, Eisenhower, Pierce: March 18, 2008

Well, we waited for the perfect day to do the big one and we got it. Although records from the Mt. Washington Observatory reported mild winds today, I didn't even feel a hint of a breeze. From the moment on the Jewell Trail I took of my windbreaker I never had anything on other than my hiking bibs and a shirt. No need for gloves or hat. What a remarkable day! I used sunscreen but obviously not enough since I now look like a lobster fresh out of the pot. This was a tough one for both of us. Above treeline there was lots of ice. I wore crampons nearly the entire hike after popping out above treeline. Atticus had to pick his spots carefully where there was sheets of ice so as not to slide right off the mountainside into one of the ravines or into the Great Gulf. Slide show will be up soon.